Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Pandan Cake Recipe

Tina Chin of tinachin.com -personal style consulting baked this for our recent school fair. It looked and tasted amazing. Tina has kindly shared the recipe and story behind this cake.
Thanks Tina!

During my days at Uni, my mother discovered the Chiffon cake made by an elderly lady at our church fete.
Once she had her hands on the recipe, I had to spend every free weekend testing and perfecting this cake.
The secret is in the freshness of the eggs and using the eggs at room temperature.
I was so sick of eating Chiffon Cake and took for granted the beautiful texture and lightness of the cake.

I hadn’t made it for years till I discovered the Pandan Chiffon after I was married with children.
The memories and method came back to me in no time. I delighted my husband and children with this cake.
They fell in love with it. They are always excited when I make it and always ask ‘is that for us?’
It never lasts more than 2 days in our house.

The Pandan cake has a coconut flavour and don’t be surprised that it is green in colour.
My daughter always gets the most amazing looks from her friends at school and to her delight doesn’t need to share it!
It is a great conversation piece and when mastered, it presents itself marvelously on a cake stand when you are entertaining.
My Malaysian friends tell me that pandan is a leaf. I use the extract in the cake purchased from Asian stores.
The cake tin is originally from Malaysia although I have seen it available in some kitchen stores.
It is best cut with a bread knife and often not difficult to go past one piece.
I hope you enjoy it.
If you don’t dare to try baking it then attend one of my workshops and I may serve it to you with tea.

Here is the recipe
Pandan Chiffon Cake

Cooking time 45min 175 Degrees Celsius
If you have 2 mix masters you can do this without transferring bowls and in whatever order you prefer.
I only have the one so I start with the egg whites and transfer them to another bowl while I make the ‘batter’
Ingredients
1. 8 eggs separated (I use 70 or 80g eggs)
2. 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
3. ¾ cup caster sugar
4. ¼ teaspoon pandan extract
5. ¾ cup vege oil
6. ¾ cup coconut milk
7. 1 cup self raising flour sifted 3 times

Method
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius
2. Beat egg whites until frothy with cream of tartar
3. In a separate large bowl, beat egg yolks together with 3 & 4 until creamy
4. Slowly beat in 5 & 6 until well blended then 7
5. Fold egg whites in batches into the egg yolk mixture with a metal knife using a cutting action to avoid flattening the whites
6. Pour mixture into a 21 cm ungreased tube pan
7. Bake for 45 minutes or until the cake feels springy to touch and a skewer leaves the cake clean
8. Invert the cake and allow it to stand till cold
9. Run a knife around the sides to release cake








www.sweetdeliveries.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for placing a comment on this Blog.